"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." -- Steven Wright

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The next first step

My first morning home I sank into a deep depression. Despite all the updates about awful snow conditions, stories about deadly creek crossings, and my own stressful experiences, I could not get past the thought that I had become one of the huge majority: the PCT thru-hiker failures; that it got hard and I gave up and THAT'S WHO I AM.

I turned to moving meditation. After a two-hour walk, I felt better. Even though it's humid here and the "wild" animals are too unafraid and most of my family is off on their own adventures, I'm home and I'm safe and it was my decision to be here. Yes, my plans changed and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point.....but when has that ever happened anyway?

However, the following facts still remain true:
1. I hiked 837 miles in the past two months and I'm very capable of doing more.
2. I have a desire to be in the woods with nothing on my mind but my aching body and my seven snacks a day.
3. I have about 30 boxes of pre-packed food still sitting in my room.
4. I have an amazing hiking partner who is equally determined to wear out a few more pairs of shoes this summer.

Because of the above, Nolan and I are switching our adventure to this side of the country and heading out on the Appalachian Trail next Friday. We're starting at the northern end at Mt. Katahdin in Maine and plan to end in Harper's Ferry, WV by the end of September (about halfway through the whole trail). I will go back and finish the PCT some day.....just not today. "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."

2 comments:

  1. And you have a crazy strong need for closure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and Ryan have a memorable time on the Appalachian Trail; God speed and I look forward to more amazing posts of your continuing adventure.

    ReplyDelete